Re: -CURRENT crashes on compilling

From: Andreas Tobler <toa_at_pop.agri.ch>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 23:32:18 +0200
Matt Emmerton wrote:
>>Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

>>Side note, I could not have a look at your config/dmesg etc.
>>tarc.po.cs.msu.su could not be found.
>>

>>>How do you know?  Most software memory testers don't load the system
>>>enough to trip over marginal RAM; 'make buildworld' does.
>>
>>Yeah, buildkernel and buildworld are good stress tests. The same as a
>>gcc bootstrap is.

>>>'make buildworld' with known-good RAM is a pretty good indicator.
>>
>>Here my side note 2, it's not on x86, but on ppc. I have a powerbook
>>with one GB of ram. Doing buildworld and buildkernel ended up in such
>>sig 11 failures at random places. Not reproducable.
>>
>>I know my hw is ok, I do daily gcc bootstraps and the machine works. But
>>under fbsd ppc I got the above sig 11 issues. A short talk with Peter
>>Grehan made me try to reduce the physical memory software side with
>>hw.physmem=512M. Bingo, that was it. I could do buildkernel and
>>buildworld with hw.physmem=512M. No problem. So, our thinking is, that
>>there is a trouble with physical mem > 512/640MB on fbsd ppc.
>

> It more likely means that there is a problem with the memory chip(s) that
> hold the upper 512MB of memory on your system.  A gcc bootstrap is probably
> not exercising this memory; a FreeBSD buildworld is.

Well, I should have mentioned that the gcc bootstrap procedure happened
under OS-X. And I have the experience that bootstrapping gcc with java
takes an enormous amount of memory. So this is a prove for me that the
hw is ok. It could still be that there is a hw problem. I just wanted to
mention the fact that there is some other world. But going back, I
suppose, if you have x86, the issue could be really related to hw issues.

Regards,
Andreas