suspend/restore almost works on Sony PCG-GRX570, acpi_video not good

From: George Hartzell <hartzell_at_kestrel.alerce.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 15:31:13 -0700
Hi,

I'm working on a Sony PCG-GRX570.

I'm working with -CURRENT as of a few days ago.

I'm trying to get suspend and resume to work.  S3 suspend and resume
work (from X) when I boot off of a Ubuntu Linux 5.04 live CD.

Actually, suspend seems to be working.  I have

hw.acpi.reset_video=0
hw.acpi.sleep_delay=4

and a kernel that's stripped of everything I could get rid of.  I
eventually added fxp0 back in to see if it was coming back to life,
the machine still almost resumes but the interface doesn't work (it
does work pre-suspend).

When I suspend (from the console, no X, using acpiconf -s 3), the
screen dims, the fan stops, and the green LED that usually says
"powered on" switches to a slowly flashing red.

When I hit the any key, the screen brightens, the fan spins up, and
after a couple of moments the disk light flashes a bit, and settles in
to a fairly normal "I'm awake" kind of activity.

But the console's dead (no new prompt, no response to the keyboard)
and pinging the interface from another machine doesn't do anything.

I *have* seen "acpi: resume at..." message in my /var/log/messages
though, so it's getting somewhere.

I've googled around and it seems that many people have trouble w/ the
backlight on suspend and the fix is the acpi_video module with the
DPMS hack applied.  It won't probe/attach on my machine, it seems that
it doesn't have the right capabilities (dim, brighten).  Since I
don't care about them but want it to hook up suspend/resume actions, I
butchered the probe routine.  That left me w/ something that attached
to 9 different devices (clearly I know enough to be dangerous, but no
more...).  The backlight did go out when I suspended though....

I just noticed that if I lightly pop the power button after a "failed"
resume, I get a lot of disk activity and on the next boot the disks
are clean.  Looks like it's doing the S5 thing (more or less) but
doesn't actually poweroff (which it does normally).

There's a bunch of info (kernel cnfig file, asl, dmesg, loader.conf,
pciconf -lv output, sysctl -a output, uname -a output) at:

  http://grapeape.alerce.com/KONG

Setting hw.acpi.reset_video to 1 results in a dimmed LCD that
brightens when I hit a key but there's no disk life and the power
button doesn't do anything.

So, I'm trying to figure out what to try next.

Can someone suggest something to try?

Thanks,

g.