Re: USB mouse woes

From: Ade Lovett <ade_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 18:56:29 -0700
Doug White wrote:
> Compile with USB_DEBUG and ratchet up the ums debug level and see what
> movement deltas are coming off the device.

Cranking hw.usb.ums.debug to 10 reveals the following:

- with the mouse plugged in to a USB port, there's no activity at all
reported by ums, just the pointer appearing on syscons for approximately
half a second, then going away, never to return

- booting the system (either warm or cold) without the mouse plugged in,
then connecting it to any of the USB ports, reveals the following:

ums_intr: sc=0xffffff000093b800 status=13
ums_intr: data = 01 00 00 00 01 02
ums_intr: status=13
ums_intr: x:0 y:0 z:-1 t:0 buttons:0x0

at about the time the pointer appears.  After this, nothing happens.

So the status being returned is USBD_IOERROR, so expecting the mouse to
work after that is being somewhat unreasonable.

Further cranking up debugging:

	hw.usb.debug=10
	hw.usb.ehci.debug=10
	hw.usb.uhci.debug=10
	hw.usb.ums.debug=10

Results in a whole ton of USB debug information sent to the console.
Rather than mailing this to the list, I've stuck it up as:

	http://people.FreeBSD.org/~ade/usb-dmesg.out

I've annotated it with the exact point where the mouse was connected up
from a cold-booted system, it is otherwise unchanged.

I don't mind admitting to being completely out of my depth at this
point, so I'm kinda stuck...

-aDe