Re: USB mouse woes

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 21:15:54 -0700 (PDT)
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005, Ade Lovett wrote:

> Doug White wrote:
> > Compile with USB_DEBUG and ratchet up the ums debug level and see what
> > movement deltas are coming off the device.
>
> Cranking hw.usb.ums.debug to 10 reveals the following:
>
> - with the mouse plugged in to a USB port, there's no activity at all
> reported by ums, just the pointer appearing on syscons for approximately
> half a second, then going away, never to return
>
> - booting the system (either warm or cold) without the mouse plugged in,
> then connecting it to any of the USB ports, reveals the following:
>
> ums_intr: sc=0xffffff000093b800 status=13
> ums_intr: data = 01 00 00 00 01 02
> ums_intr: status=13
> ums_intr: x:0 y:0 z:-1 t:0 buttons:0x0
>
> at about the time the pointer appears.  After this, nothing happens.
>
> So the status being returned is USBD_IOERROR, so expecting the mouse to
> work after that is being somewhat unreasonable.
>
> Further cranking up debugging:
>
> 	hw.usb.debug=10
> 	hw.usb.ehci.debug=10
> 	hw.usb.uhci.debug=10
> 	hw.usb.ums.debug=10
>
> Results in a whole ton of USB debug information sent to the console.
> Rather than mailing this to the list, I've stuck it up as:
>
> 	http://people.FreeBSD.org/~ade/usb-dmesg.out
>
> I've annotated it with the exact point where the mouse was connected up
> from a cold-booted system, it is otherwise unchanged.
>
> I don't mind admitting to being completely out of my depth at this
> point, so I'm kinda stuck...

okay, lets try this.

1. With the mouse connected collect the output of usbdevs -v. That should
show how the mouse is connected.

2. From the trace it looks like the mouse is USB2 since ehci keeps popping
up. Try removing ehci from your kernel.

Your mouse gets upset after we attach it, which is what this is all
about:
uhci_idone: error, addr=2, endpt=0x81, status 0x500000<BABBLE,STALLED>

STALLED is an error in USB terms.  Exactly why the device is stalling,
though, is unclear.

Try #2 above and see if it works any better for you.