Re: Summary: experiences with NanoBSD, successes and nits on a Soekris 4801

From: Ade Lovett <ade_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 21:03:18 -0700
Gregory Neil Shapiro wrote:
>>XXX I get a sendmail warning every boot:
>>
>>  sendmail: execing /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail: No such file or
>>  directory
>>
>>  This is likely vi.recover running and trying to do something with
>>  sendmail.  Unhelpful, given no sendmail is present.  Maybe a better
>>  failure mode is desirable here?
>

> Just for anyone researching this, it isn't a sendmail error, it
> is mailwrapper.

Well, yes and no.  There is a specific issue of having the boot-time
vi.recover stuff run before the mail system (as defined by mailer.conf)
is actually ready.

A good example of this would be to take exim, postfix, qmail, whatever,
and link in mysql support, changing /etc/mail/mailer.conf appropriately
for the "sendmail" entry.

Since the mysql libraries are in a "non-standard" place
(/usr/local/lib/mysql), and haven't yet been ldconfig'd in, in such a
situation you'll see "odd" failures at boot up, iff there are vi
sessions to recover as a result of a previous system failure.

As to a real solution, I'm not sure.  Perhaps an appropriate "mta"
keyword for PROVIDE/REQUIRE?

-aDe