Re: Summary: experiences with NanoBSD, successes and nits on a Soekris 4801

From: Garance A Drosehn <gad_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 00:51:19 -0400
At 10:54 AM +0900 6/20/05, gnn_at_freebsd.org wrote:
>At Sun, 19 Jun 2005 21:36:03 +0200,
>Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>  >
>>  I'm still not satisfied with the nanobsd config/customize process,
>>  ideally I would want to have only a single file with a sensible
>  > format control the nanobsd build process.
>
>If I may jump in here.  One way to do the build up vs. cut down thing
>is to break up more of the system into understandable chunks, but that
>takes work.  Then it's easier to build up a system from components.
>
>I'll take a look at nanonbsd hopefully this week anyways, as I need
>to get it running in a VM as well as on a Soekris at home.  I make no
>promises.  The last system I worked with that did a componentization
>got it very very wrong.

Another thing I was thinking about was that we could have more
components which trim themselves down based on #defines for
something like MINIMALIST_USER or MINIMALIST_USERBIN .  I almost
tried that with the recent changes to `env', for instance.  The new
options I added are very nice, but they do add something like 20%-40%
to the size of the executable.  And someone putting together a minimal
system could easily avoid writing scripts that need the new options.

If a user could set one #define to cause all programs in /usr/bin to
shrink by 10-15%, that might be valuable.  Not sure we could get that
much, or if we would want to support that idea as time goes on.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn     =      gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad_at_FreeBSD.org