Re: Replace /rescue/vi with mined(1) from DragonFlyBSD

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon_at_apollo.backplane.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 22:43:11 -0700 (PDT)
    Kinda silly to have a war over a 37 KB static binary.

    We brought in mined in order to have a static binary based editor
    that did not require /usr or /tmp to work properly, for system recovery
    and single-user operation.  That's all.  The main thing was to have an
    editor that worked without a mounted /usr.  That means no termcap, no
    curses, no auxillary configuration files, no citrus/ctype, no nothing.
    It's meant to be an editor for emergency situations when the person
    can't boot the live CD to get a full environment.

    I did verify with the author that it had been placed under the BSD
    license.

    As far as cons25 vs vt100 ... both accept basic ANSI escape sequences
    and that is what the editor outputs.  The escape sequences generated
    when you hit, e.g. function keys, are sufficiently different that I
    simply modified the editor to recognizes BOTH sets (which it almost did
    already).

    I did some other minor work on it, e.g. adding support for ^Z, doing
    an ioctl to query the stty rows and columns, and cleaning up the
    ANSI output sequences and input parsing code to handle both cons25
    and vt100/ansi.  I rearranged a few keys to make the editor conform
    better to modern UNIX expectations.  That's it.  I think it makes an
    excellent emergency editor when all you have is a root partition and
    I have used it in that capacity on numerous occassions.

    I would like to thank the PicoBSD folks for doing the initial legwork,
    we pulled their changes out of the trash bin and then reworked and
    enhanced them from the base sources in the minix distribution.

						-Matt