Re: Installing FreeBSD -- urgent hard drive issue

From: Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.strobl_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:37:18 +0200
Am Montag, 20. Juni 2005 17:24 schrieb Benjamin Sher:
> Dear friends:
>
> I'm trying to install FreeBSD 5.4. The install CD that I created in Nero
> is fine. I also
> printed out all the info I could on my system. I have two primary hard
> drives, each 40G
> in capacity: The first one has Windows XP on it. The second disk is
> completely blank. I
> would like to install FreeBSD on this second disk and to use it
> entirely. When I booted
> up to the Install screen I saw the option of choosing ado or ad1. I did
> read about this
> earlier on the FreeBSD home page. I chose ad1and then saw the Fdisk
> screen. I don't
> need to Fdisk anything. I just want to use the second primary hard
> drive. I am very

If you choose ad1 then the partition table of ad0 (where your windows
resides) won't be touched. You could install FreeBSD without having a
MBR/Partition table but for compatibility reasons FreeBSD adopted the
microsoft partitions, so if you use sysinstall you have to create one
partition (slice would be the correct FreeBSD term) with id 165 and inside
that slice the different labels for your mount points.

> much afraid that I might do something wrong and wipe out my Windows
> installation. So,

Well, since you're doing regulary backups this won't be a matter, right? ;)

-Harry