Re: Summary: experiences with NanoBSD, successes and nits on a Soekris 4801

From: Marcin Jessa <lists_at_yazzy.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 20:57:30 +0200
Hi.

You can read how it's done on NetBSD:
http://www.wifibsd.org/support/netbsd-on-cf.txt

We do similar things with FreeBSD, but in opposite to nanobsd, picobsd and such we dont do any crunching of binaries,
we just use dynamically linked libraries. This makes live a lot of easier (ever tried to crunch openssl?).
Also the rootfs on FreeBSD can be loaded as a module by loader or "inserted" into the kernel.
PicoBSD and i guess NanoBSD use the second option.
What's neat is you can actually use the same configs with freebsd and netbsd and replace your "firmare" (rootfs and kernel) on the fly.

Cheers.