Re: Summary: experiences with NanoBSD, successes and nits on a Soekris 4801

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 12:06:40 +0100 (BST)
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, Marcin Jessa wrote:

> You can read how it's done on NetBSD:
> http://www.wifibsd.org/support/netbsd-on-cf.txt
>
> We do similar things with FreeBSD, but in opposite to nanobsd, picobsd
> and such we dont do any crunching of binaries, we just use dynamically
> linked libraries. This makes live a lot of easier (ever tried to crunch
> openssl?).

FYI, while PicoBSD does crunch binaries, NanoBSD does not.

> Also the rootfs on FreeBSD can be loaded as a module by loader or
> "inserted" into the kernel. PicoBSD and i guess NanoBSD use the second
> option.

PicoBSD does do this, but NanoBSD doesn't.  NanoBSD is basically a
modified version of our diskless environment, in that it relies on a
standard layout tree, with the exception that it uses populated memory
file systems for /var and /etc.

As we see storage device size increase, we're seing embedded environments
use more and more standard installs, and likewise, the FreeBSD CD install
environment move over also (it now uses a live file system).

Robert N M Watson