Re: BTX halted during install

From: Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 18:02:39 +0900
Hi,

>>>>> On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 14:43:10 -0400
>>>>> John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org> said:

jhb> Hmm, well.  First off, try disabling DMA for the hard drive and CD-ROM in the
jhb> BIOS.  Secondly, you can hack on btx to add a while (1) loop ('foo: jmp foo')
jhb> and move it around to get it to stop looping after the first fault so you can
jhb> capture the details.  I can help you with that if you aren't familiar with
jhb> x86 assembly.  Once that is done, I can look at the fault details to try to
jhb> figure out what your BIOS is doing that is making the machine unhappy.

Unfortunately, it seems there is no such setting in BIOS menu to
disabling DMA.

I did patch to stop looping and got the message:

	http://www.imasy.or.jp/~ume/FreeBSD/CF-R4/cf-r4-btx-halted.jpg

I heared from takawata-san that EIP=0x107 indicates runaway.

I could install FreeBSD by PXE boot from
6.0-CURRENT-SNAP004-i386-disc1.iso.  It's fine to boot FreeBSD which
is installed on HDD.

It seems BTX-halted occurs when loading loader or kernel via legacy
USB.  I heared from Panasonic folks that they improved their legacy
USB code for their latest series including CF-R4.  It seems there is
some issue in their improvement, and our BTX hits the weak point of
their improvement.  However, DOS, Windows and NetBSD are still
bootable on CF-R4...

Sincerely,

--
Hajimu UMEMOTO _at_ Internet Mutual Aid Society Yokohama, Japan
ume_at_mahoroba.org  ume_at_{,jp.}FreeBSD.org