Re: BTX halted during install

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 14:43:10 -0400
On Tuesday 07 June 2005 03:29 pm, Hajimu UMEMOTO wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I bought new laptop; Panasonic Let's Note CF-R4
> (http://panasonic.jp/pc/products/r4g/index.html), and I'm trying to
> install FreeBSD in it without any success.
> The FreeBSD installer cannot boot at all, and it ends up with BTX
> halted before loading kernel.  Perhaps, it occurs during boot2 or
> loader.  However, I cannot look at output messages due to endless loop
> of output.  So, I cannot identify where it is actually.
> I tried CD-ROM of 5.4-RELEASE, 5.3-RELEASE, 5.2-RELEASE, 4.11-RELEASE
> and 6.0-CURRENT-SNAP004-i386-disc1.iso.  I also tried boot.flp of
> 5.4-RELEASE.
> I tried several combination of available BIOS settings without any
> success.
> The installer of NetBSD 2.0.2 can boot just fine, though.
> I'm embarrassed.  How can I install FreeBSD into my new laptop?
>
> Sincerely,

Hmm, well.  First off, try disabling DMA for the hard drive and CD-ROM in the
BIOS.  Secondly, you can hack on btx to add a while (1) loop ('foo: jmp foo')
and move it around to get it to stop looping after the first fault so you can
capture the details.  I can help you with that if you aren't familiar with
x86 assembly.  Once that is done, I can look at the fault details to try to
figure out what your BIOS is doing that is making the machine unhappy.