Re: Portupgrade, -CURRENT & SMP

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_samsco.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 19:09:20 -0600
Sean wrote:

> Scott Long wrote:
>
>>> Which, yes, is quite annoying and, IMHO, is a pretty critical bug
>>> that needs fixing.  It makes SMP on -CURRENT nearly unusable if you
>>> want to regularly update your ports.
>>>
>>> Adam
>>>

>> Well, you can disable SMP at boot via
>>
>> set hw.apic.0.disable=1
>>
>> But yes, it's some sort of a bug and it needs to be fixed.  I'll track
>> the PR.
>>
>> Scott
>>

> Scott,
>
> I checked and doing several searches through the sysctl options do not
> see any such option as you list above, > set hw.apic.0.disable=1
>
> I am running amd64, is this perhaps just an option for i386?
> I do see a kern.smp.disabled: 0, would this instead be for amd64?
>
> Exactly how on boot do I break in to enter this option?
> Or do I set it, then boot?
> Then afterwards reset then boot again?
>
>             Thanks
>             Sean

Sorry, it's

hw.apic.0.disabled=1

I missed the 'd'.  It's not a sysctl, it's a tunable (they share the
same namespace and often overlap, but not always).  kern.smp.disabled
works too.  You'll need to either put these settings into
/boot/loader.conf, or manually set them in the loader by hitting the
space bar during the 10 second timeout.  5.x had a nice menu for doing
this, but it because controversial over silly reasons and was removed.

Scott