Re: Console freeze

From: Roman Kurakin <rik_at_cronyx.ru>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 20:21:31 +0400
Matt Emmerton wrote:

>>Hi,
>>
>>    I am getting console freeze with recent current. I've seen the same
>>a year ago
>>on current and the proble is still here. One of the console freeze I've
>>seen while
>>intensive output from my driver (that is async driver). The other one
>>I've seen
>>whille cvs update (for example on alt+f2 cvs update -d . > .z; on alt+f3
>>tail -f .z).
>>
>>console freeze:
>>screen contains the last output or blank, currsor IIRC always availabe
>>and it
>>moves according to its usual behaviour so terminal is functional but no
>>output.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>

>IIRC, there was a discussion here lately about a race condition that is
>being worked on (fixed?) caused by precisely what you describe -- a cvsup
>(or other output-intensive process) redirecting to a file in one window, and
>a tail on said file in another window.
>
>How recent is your -current?

Jun 28 11:05  MSD 2005

I've come back to read current from 21 June, I didn't saw such thread and
I can't recall any commits that were around this. So I guess this is not
fixed.

By the way while one of cvs updates I've got system lockup after I've
tail -f .z in addition from a network terminal. I didn't try to reproduce
such case so I can't say if this is usual case.

rik