Re: gcc(1) manpage (was: cvs commit: src/sys/kern kern_sig.c)

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 18:00:38 +0200
On 2005-03-08 16:26, Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie_at_le-hen.org> wrote:
>> This version number in the gcc(1) manpage is really the least of the
>> problems...  The GCC guys don't maintain the manpage anymore, as they
>> prefer the info page to document things now.  The gcc(1) manpage hasn't
>> been updated since _long_.  In short, it's not only a matter of getting
>> the latest manpage from the GCC project, it's a matter of synchronizing
>> this manpage with the (huge) GCC info page and it's a significant job.
>
> I would take advantage of this thread to ask what people think about
> converting gcc(1) info page to a manual page.  Of course, this manual
> page wouldn't be very academic but IMHO, it would keep the Unix
> tradition of having a single manual page containing all informations
> about the software.
>
> It appears there is a tool called info2man [1] : this is a Perl script
> that first use info2pod and then pod2man.  I agree this is ugly, but
> modulo some tweaks, the result seems to be quite readable [2] as a
> manual page.

David O'Brien has posted a copy of the gcc.1 manpage to be, which has
been generated by Pod::Man.  Converting this to groff_mdoc is a huge job
that I haven't managed to complete yet, even though a few months have
passed since I got the message from David.

The main problem with this conversion is that I have relatively "high"
standards of what the mdoc text should look like, in order to be a BSD
manpage.

Keeping the standards of the rest of the manpages, as I understand these
style/standard guidelines by osmosis (i.e. by looking at the work of
Ruslan Ermilov), and having as much of the Texinfo documentation for GCC
in one place is a "significant job" as it was said above.  One that I am
not sure I can manage at my spare time between ${REAL_JOB} stuff.

Having said that, I think that a real manpage for GCC would be great!

- Giorgos