Re: rcNG changes/aditions

From: Jose M Rodriguez <josemi_at_freebsd.jazztel.es>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:25:17 +0100
El Martes, 15 de Marzo de 2005 23:21, Doug Barton escribió:
> Jose M Rodriguez wrote:

> >>Why is this necessary? My understanding is that modules load
> >>themselves when called. Do the sound modules do this differently?
> >
> > This is not needed (I think). You can load modules
> > via /boot/loader.conf, but may be more confortable if we 'go
> > modules' in a future.
>
> I don't think you understand what I'm saying. For most modules, it is
> not actually necessary to pre-load them at all. For example, I have
> cd9660 as a module, it's not compiled into my kernel. When I mount a
> cd9660 file system the kernel module is automatically loaded. There
> is no need to pre-load it. The same is true of (most) modules that
> create devices, such as ndis.

This is true for, more or less 'logical' modules, But not for 'hard'
ones. You must have the sound support compiled into the kernel or the
needed modules loaded for sound to be detected.

I think this can be needed also for buses like firewire or usb.  And for
net 'hard' modules like if_fxp.

> I don't know the specifics of the sound module, I compile it into my
> kernel. However, as you pointed out in the rare case that it's
> necessary to actually pre-load a kernel module (such as agp), we have
> a mechanism for that in loader.conf already. I don't think that
> adding that code to rc.subr is a useful exercise, and in fact I would
> oppose it as needless duplication of effort.

Allthough there are things like agp (now in generic kernel) that really
need to be loaded at boot, doing this at rc time is now used (grep
kldload /etc/rc.d/*) and have also pros.

In the sound case, you may boot in a just installed system, add
'mixer_modules' to /etc/rc.conf as needed for your sound car, and do an
`/etc/rc.d/mixer restart'.

You may get your sound configured and working without needing a reboot.

Also, I think that our module system is now strong enough to comment out
things like usb or firewire from GENERIC and use module support in rc
for that.

But this may require more work and testing.  This kind of patches may
open the way to 'go modules' for many things now in GENERIC, or of
general use like sound.

--
  josemi