Re: ATAPICAM?

From: Vulpes Velox <v.velox_at_vvelox.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:49:15 -0600
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:24:26 -0600
Harry Coin <harrycoin_at_qconline.com> wrote:

> John,
>
> Thanks for answering.  The relation appears to be some combination
> of  atapicam's interaction with an ata DVD burner and multiple ata
> controllers.

Actually, IIRC, it should happen with any atapi device if atapi cam is
going to have a problem. I would have to check agian, but I don't
remember it being related to my DVD burner.

> I mentioned the four umass0 devices because that appears to be the
> only  unusual thing about this box in the storage world.  Anyhow
> here's a link to  the dmesg and conf
> showing the problem. HTH.

> If whoever it is that knows about atapicam is still around, just do
> a  search in the freebsd mail lists for atapicam and hanging or
> interrupt  storms on boot, you'll see there's been a lurking problem
> there that hasn't  been really addressed since somewhere in late
> 4.x.
>
> I think the reason it's important is that k3b and the programs it
> uses can  only deal with SCSI appearing burners.  If there was an
> atapi burner  interface directly in the various multimedia program
> then atapicam wouldn't  be needed at all.
>
> Right now it's a rock and a hard place, I have to boot another OS
> whenever  I need to write on CD's or DVD's as it is now.

Burncd, for CDs, works nicely. And with out the useless bloat of
several of the CD programs. The big problem is the lack of a useful
atapi dvd burning program.

> Anyhow I hope I'm not barging in the wrong list, I gathered this was
> the  place to report 5.x system lockups on boot.  Excuse the newbie
> error!

That would be stable and iirc there is also a ata mailing list.