Re: ATAPICAM?

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:56:52 +1030
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:19, Vulpes Velox wrote:
> > Right now it's a rock and a hard place, I have to boot another OS
> > whenever  I need to write on CD's or DVD's as it is now.
>
> Burncd, for CDs, works nicely. And with out the useless bloat of
> several of the CD programs. The big problem is the lack of a useful
> atapi dvd burning program.

Depends what you're burning, and burning onto.. I have certainly had burcd
hang (unkillable) while growisofs and cdrecord et al work fine.

It would be OK if you could compile a version of cdrecord (for example) that
could burn to both SCSI and ATAPI devices without atapicam. I believe someone
wrote patches to teach libscilly to talk to ATAPI devices directly but you
have to choose it OR CAM, you can't have both in the same binary.

While atapicam is a bit of a kludge, it does provide compatibility with a wide
range of binaries that people use in leu of them supporting the ata code :)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum