Re: freebsd naming of releases

From: Brian K. White <brian_at_aljex.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 01:16:34 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Erich Dollansky" <oceanare_at_pacific.net.sg>
To: "Andre Guibert de Bruet" <andy_at_siliconlandmark.com>
Cc: "Chris" <chrcoluk_at_gmail.com>; <freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 12:39 AM
Subject: Re: freebsd naming of releases

> Hi,
>
> Andre Guibert de Bruet wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Erich Dollansky wrote:
>>
>>> It would be much easier for many users to understand terms like "alpha",
>>> "beta" or "production" as others to it. There is not other meaning in
>>> "release" as it is released but for what purpose?
>>

>> Release announcements usually include the expectations for the release.
>> Would you run anything that said "Preview" on a production server?
>>
> It is not what you do with it but how easy it is to see what it is ment
> for.
>>
>> I find that the terms "alpha", "beta" and "production" do not quite fit
>> the FreeBSD development paradigm. (Is RELENG_5 beta or production?)
>>
> It is pretty simple. There will be a 5.4 alpha, 5.4 beta and finally a 5.4
> final if the code gets stable enough.
>
> There would be the same for all other versions.
>
>> PS: I'm willing to elaborate off-list (current_at_ probably isn't the best
>> forum for this discussion).
>>
> Let also the others have some fun. We could switch the list, but to which
> one?

Maybe instead of trying to fit into too few categories, just have every
daily snapshot, or every cvs commit timestamp, be rated with 3 percentage
values:
% changed
% known good
% known bad
then translate the percentages to 0-255 values and use them as an RGB value
to colorize download links on a web page.
red , purple, blue links you stay away from,
you use only the greenest green ones for production, or dip into yellows for
production when necessary.

the ratings on fresh or recent updates would be WAG's and mostly dark grey,
but over time would become more real and get brighter as feedback
accumulates.

yes I'm kidding. :)

Brian K. White  --  brian_at_aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani