freebsd naming of releases

From: Chris <chrcoluk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 04:58:21 +0100
After what happened with 5.x releases would it be a good idea to name
current releases different.  eg. 6.1-dev 6.2-dev onstead of
6.1-release.

here is the reasoning behind my idea.

When 5.1 and 5.2 were released many datacentres and individual users
were using them as if they were standard releases probably because the
FreeBSD docs say that they reccomend using releases in this order
starting with most stable first.
RELEASE
STABLE
CURRENT

Now of course 5.1-RELEASE had no STABLE phase so there was less
testing but many users would not have known this and simply seen
5.1-RELEASE, I think this is how the mistake came about so many people
were using 5.x before it was marked STABLE and the same will happen
again for 6.x if the same naming convention is used.  This would bring
up a question such as which is more stable, 4.10-STABLE or 5.2-RELEASE
since the latter is a RELEASE but the former is based on actual STABLE
tree code whilst the latter is based on CURRENT tree code.  I hope
others can make sense of what I am saying.  Please cc replies to me
since im not subscribed to this list.

Chris