Re: freebsd naming of releases

From: Julian H. Stacey <jhs_at_berklix.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:16:05 +0200
Charles Swiger wrote:
> On Mar 28, 2005, at 11:44 PM, Andre Guibert de Bruet wrote:
> >> I know that there is some explanation for the terms at the site but
> >> why should terms be used which need an extra eplanation?
> >
> > I find that the terms "alpha", "beta" and "production" do not quite
> > fit the FreeBSD development paradigm. (Is RELENG_5 beta or
> > production?)
>
> It's beta.  -CURRENT (or RELENG_6) is alpha, and production is now at

Wrong: Current != Alpha.
  Industry common parlance of "Alpha Release" is per se a sort of (pre) release.
  FreeBSD Current is continuously moving & not a release;  eg cvs -r HEAD

Perhaps you equated Alpha & Current because that's the first one
has access to from commercial companies & FreeBSD respectively, but
that doesnt make them the same thing.  Binaries from a commercial
company's current one wouldn't normally see (let alone the source :-).

-
Julian Stacey        Net & Sys Eng Consultant, Munich       http://berklix.com
Mail in Ascii (Html=Spam).  Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.