Re: NDISulator on amd64

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_samsco.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:52:14 -0700
Matteo Riondato wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 01:23:21PM -0700, Scott Long wrote:
>
>>Matteo Riondato wrote:
>>
>>>Hi folks,
>>>few hours ago I saw that ndiscvt was connected to the amd64 build, so,
>>>about 2 hours ago, I cvsupped and rebuilded my system.
>>>After the reboot, I converted the Windows driver to
>>>ndis_driver_data.h, builded the if_ndis.ko module and loaded ndisk.ko
>>>and if_ndis.ko.
>>>When I try to load if_ndis with "kldload if_ndis", I get:
>>>link_elf_obj: symbol MRV8Kx64_sys_drv_data_start undefined
>>>kldload: Unsupported file type
>>>kldload: an't load if_ndis: Exec format error
>>>
>>>My card is a .11g card onboard my Asus A8V-E Deluxe motherboard.
>>>BTW, am I supposed to use 64bit drivers or 32bit drivers with NDIS?
>>>
>>>Any hint will be much appreciated.
>>>Thank you in advance
>>>Best Regards
>>
>>Interesting.  I have this exact same motherboard, and when I tried the
>>driver I got an instant reboot.  You do need to use the 64-bit version
>>of the .inf and .sys files (which I found on the driver disk that came
>>with the motherboard).
>

> Yes, I did use them, no istant reboot here, just the error messages
> written above.
> Did you try to make the onboard eth card working?
> Best Regards

Are you sure you used the correct .inf and .sys files?  I used

/cdrom/Drivers/WIFI/64bit/Inf/WinXP_2K_x64/MRV8Xx64.sys

As for the onboard NIC chip, the .inf file on the cdrom isn't
parsable by ndiscvt.  Even after converting it from utf16 to ascii,
it still has lots of syntax errors.  It's just a Yukon2 so it should
be easy to find other driver sources, but I haven't been motivated
enough to try yet.  Someone(tm) needs to sit down and port the YK2
support to the if_sk driver (or just write a new driver).  There are
rumors that Marvell is devoting some efforts to a future FreeBSD
driver, but when and how it will be released is anyone's guess.

Scott