Re: BSD Installer as a replacement for sysinstall?

From: Julian H. Stacey <jhs_at_flat.berklix.net>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 13:26:43 +0200
Brian Candler wrote:

> On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 06:32:42PM -0600, Travis Poppe wrote:
> > For quite some time I've been looking forward to seeing sysinstall go
> > and be replaced with a new system that's user interface agnostic. This
> > would allow developers to create a user interface of their choice
> > without having to muck around with the internals of the installer. It
> > seems that one of the major reasons this hasn't happened yet is simply
> > due to lack of development.
> >
> > Correct me of I'm wrong, but as far as I know, this is what BSD
> > Installer (the DragonFly team's installer) currently does.
>
> I'm very interested in seeing improvements to the installation and
> management utilities, but I think many of the current problems are

[ Some good point Brian (but I'll omit a `me too' reiteration of bits). ]

If anyone's going to be comparing installers, & recoding things,
they may want to also look at the http://www.pcbsd.org installer
for ideas.  A friend who downloaded their .iso tried it & thought
the the installer would be a lot easier / more atractive for
recruiting newbies.  It's under a GNU licence though.

-
Julian Stacey        Net & Sys Eng Consultant, Munich       http://berklix.com
Mail in Ascii (Html=Spam).  Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.