BSD Installer as a replacement for sysinstall?

From: Travis Poppe <tlpbsd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 18:32:42 -0600
Hello all,

For quite some time I've been looking forward to seeing sysinstall go
and be replaced with a new system that's user interface agnostic. This
would allow developers to create a user interface of their choice
without having to muck around with the internals of the installer. It
seems that one of the major reasons this hasn't happened yet is simply
due to lack of development.

Correct me of I'm wrong, but as far as I know, this is what BSD
Installer (the DragonFly team's installer) currently does. Other than
"political" disagreements, are there really any good reasons for us
not to look into using BSD Installer as a replacement for sysinstall?
I believe either FreeSBIE or LiveBSD (FreeBSD LiveCD distributions)
has already included the BSD Installer in a recent release.

I know Scott Long has posed this idea to the list in the past. BSD
Installer would provide the framework needed to make bells and
whistles such as graphical installers and so forth much more likely in
the future. If there are some out there who dislike the interface
provided by BSD Installer, I don't think it would be too difficult to
write a sysinstall lookalike UI for their system.

Please visit http://www.bsdinstaller.org if any of you are interested.

Thanks,

-Travis Poppe