Re: BSD Installer as a replacement for sysinstall?

From: Steven Hartland <killing_at_multiplay.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 22:15:00 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: "Andre Guibert de Bruet" <andy_at_siliconlandmark.com>
>> The OS installer should do nothing more than install the OS.  Don't
>> configure anything other than the root password and an initial user.
>> Just copy the OS to the harddrive.  Everything else (timezone, network
>> interfaces, packages, everything) should be done post-install, once
>> you have booted into the OS.  All programs should be disabled until
>> the admin decides to enable them.  Keep it simple, keep it quick.  And
>> make it scriptable.
>
> This would be a serious regression for users which need to deploy freebsd
> roomfulls at a time. PXE boot and install over the network is something
> that is really important for a lot of people; Myself included.

I agree here, install an configure are the main requirements. As it stands
sysinstall maybe ugly but it does everything we require of an installer.
Compared to the crappy linux gui installers its a god send.

That's not to say we don't need one I think we do but at the loss of
any current functionality definitely not.

    Steve

or return the E.mail to postmaster_at_multiplay.co.uk.