Re: boot banner project

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_samsco.org>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 19:27:25 -0600
Charles Swiger wrote:
> On May 4, 2005, at 5:24 PM, Warner Losh wrote:
>
>>> Agreed.  I consider it a serious misfortune that FreeBSD doesn't use
>>> /bin/sh as root's shell.  On the other hand, it's easy enough to fix,
>>> so I haven't spent my time complaining about this.  :-)
>>

>> All BSDs have, since a very long time ago, used /bin/csh as root's
>> shell.
>

> NEXTSTEP never did; and neither does OS X:

OSX used csh by default until the 10.3 series release.  You can still
(thankfully) select it.  IMHO, csh/tcsh is superior for interactive
use, and bash/ksh is superior for scripting.  It's amazing what happens
when you pick the right tool for the job; hammers are vastly superior
at pounding nails, while screw drivers are vastly superior at turning
screws.

Scott