Re: Using nvidia-driver with 6-x/CURRENT

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 10:06:46 +0930
On Mon, 9 May 2005 09:21, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2005-05-08 18:28, David Gurvich <david.freebsd_at_verizon.net> wrote:
> > I was able to install v.7174 from the port after modifying nv-freebsd.h.
> > This consisted of commenting out the portion where an error is given if
> > the freebsd version is greater than 6.
>
> Leonidas (whom I have Cc:'ed) mentioned something similar.

Works fine here too (Fx5200 Go)

> > At present the driver seems to be working fine.  I have noticed no
> > difference in operation from 5.3-RELEASE.
>
> If this is true, then the maintainer of the port can update it I guess.
> It may take some care and testing to see that things don't break for
> releases other than 4.X though, since the port has to support 4.9 or
> later too ;-)

The 7174 driver only supports 5.3 onwards.
I presume nVidia made it so it will bail on -current so they don't have to
support it as much (<dry laugh>)

Also, if we're talking about the port can it modify the makefile so the KLD
installs into /boot/kernel? Going into /boot/modules is a recipe for user
frustration :(

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum