Re: Using nvidia-driver with 6-x/CURRENT

From: Rudolf Cejka <cejkar_at_fit.vutbr.cz>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 18:48:25 +0200
David Gurvich wrote (2005/05/08):
> I was able to install v.7174 from the port after modifying nv-freebsd.h.
> This consisted of commenting out the portion where an error is given if the
> freebsd version is greater than 6.

Hello, thanks for the information. I tried today's current with the new
nvidia driver and here are my first rough experiences:

- I adjusted Makefile and distinfo from 6113 to 7174, then removed all
  patches for 6113 in directory files and put here just one patch for
  nv-freebsd.h, which removes above mentioned error. There seems to be
  needed more adjustments for the port, but wow - I'm able after very
  long time with my NVidia FX5200 to switch between graphics and text mode
  again - great.

- However when updating to the todays -current, I had to disable atapicam
  from my kernel, because it stopped my system from booting. It hanged
  after acd1  message - here are the last booting lines:
  sym0: <875> port 0xd000-0xd0ff mem 0xfbefec00-0xfbefecff,0xfbefd000-0xfbefdfff irq 5 at device 9.0 on pci2
  sym0: Symbios NVRAM, ID 7, Fast-20, SE, parity checking
  sym0: open drain IRQ line driver, using on-chip SRAM
  sym0: using LOAD/STORE-based firmware.
  sym0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
  Timecounters tick every 1.000 msec
  IPsec: Initialized Security Association Processing.
  ad0: 76319MB <WDC WD800JB-00ETA0 77.07W77> at ata0-master UDMA100
  acd0: CDRW <HL-DT-ST GCE-8520B/1.04> at ata1-master UDMA33
  acd1: CDROM <CDU5211/YYS7> at ata1-slave UDMA33

  When I removed SCSI controller from my computer, I was able to boot
  the kernel again, but it paniced shortly. However removing atapicam
  from kernel configuration seems to be sufficient. In kernel without
  atapicam, kldload atapicam seems that it does nothing, kldunload atapicam
  panics the system with current process = 33 (swi2: cambio).

--
Rudolf Cejka <cejkar at fit.vutbr.cz> http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~cejkar
Brno University of Technology, Faculty of Information Technology