Re: root's shell (Was: Re: boot banner project)

From: Michael Nottebrock <lofi_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 21:43:20 +0200
On Monday, 9. May 2005 21:28, /dev/null wrote:

> He *boldly* asks without so much as the smallest amount of research -
> 1.)
> Would it be considered alot of trouble to make (t)csh POSIX compliant?

Prolly.

> 2.)
> Would it be considered difficult or poor practice to make root' shell an
> option during install?

Well, toor exists. Activate it and give it any shell you want, case closed. As
has been said before, a POSIX-sh compatible shell for root is a red herring -
slap #!/bin/sh in front of your scripts and be done with it.

The omnipresence of bash in Linux at least hasn't done a great service to
script portability in my experience (you wouldn't think porting KDE isn't a
likely opportunity to be confronted with bad scripting, but I had to learn
otherwise the hard way. Bash makes it way to easy to write scripts that will
only work when /bin/sh is really /bin/bash).

--
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi_at_freebsd.org