RE: cannot log on as root after upgrade

From: Darren Pilgrim <dmp_at_bitfreak.org>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 14:20:11 -0700
From: "Dag-Erling Smørgrav" [mailto:des_at_des.no]
> "Darren Pilgrim" <dmp_at_bitfreak.org> writes:
>>
>> [Paraphrased] Logging in on the console as root produces
>> "pam_acct_mgmt(): authentication error" message and login failure.
>
> This is not a PAM bug.  Someone broke ttyname() so the code that
> checks if you are logging in on a secure tty fails.  Quick workaround:
> comment out the pam_securetty line in /etc/pam.d/login.

The workaround has made direct root logins possible again, thanks.

I've just now noticed another error message--this one upon log-out.  I don't
have the exact text of the error message (I couldn't find it in the log
files), but the text is like "no utmp entry for tty??" or "could not remove
utmp entry for tty??" with the question marks actually there, instead of the
real name of the tty I was logged in on.  Is this error message also due to
the breakage?