Re: -current: unable to boot (bt_strategy X not multiple of block size)

From: Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads_at_cox.net>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 22:41:20 -0500
On Wed, 18 May 2005 15:36:26 -0700 (PDT), Doug White
<dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 17 May 2005, David Kleiner wrote:
>

> > This is amd64 Asus A8N mobo, previous -current (May 1) worked fine,
> > I cannot boot even into kernel.old any more, the only option is
> > older i386 -current and maybe I can fix things from there.   The
> > boot loader said i386/FreeBSD but I don't remember what it said
> > before for amd64 - it was happening too fast.
>
> Yes, its specific to amd64. There is a /boot/loader.old you can use
> just in case, but you need to break into boot2 to get to it. At the
> first spinny hit a key and it should drop you to a boot: prompt.

Yes, this also occurred on my amd64 box.  At first, I was totally
stymied as to how to proceed.  I ended up booting from a 5.2 CD-ROM,
went into fixit mode, mounted / under /mnt and renamed loader.old to
loader (after renaming loader to loader.new).

Thanks for the tip on how to break out of the loading of the new loader.
One of those tricks I had either never learned in the first place, or
had completely forgotten about. :-)

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads_at_cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"