Re: [CALL FOR TESTERS] VESA High Resolution Console support from DragonFly

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 18:39:12 -0700
> Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 19:26:12 +0800
> From: Xin LI <delphij_at_frontfree.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>
> Dear -CURRENT users,
>
> I would like to solicit a test of the following patchset which is based
> on DragonFly's changes, against -CURRENT, to bring high resolution console
> support to FreeBSD.  The current patchset can be considered as "BETA" and
> I would commit it if there is no complain about this patchset in the next
> week.
>
> The patchset can be found at:
> 	http://people.freebsd.org/~delphij/vesa/patchset-highres.20050522
>
> To use it, you will need latest -CURRENT code, and apply the patchset at
> toplevel source tree, i.e. /usr/src for usual cases.  Then you need to build
> and reinstall your kernel, with 'options SC_PIXEL_MODE' compiled in, and
> optionally options VESA if you don't want to manually load VESA support
> module.  A make buildworld/installworld is recommended, but I believe that
> just rebuild/reinstall usr.sbin/vidcontrol is enough to get your hands on
> the support for using something like 'vidcontrol MODE_239' or so, which will
> switch the current console to that mode.  Some mode may not work on certain
> cards, though.
>
> Please let me know if anything strange happens;  While I have been running
> with the patch for a while, I would still be happy if you will report that
> it works :-)
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Xin LI <delphij frontfree net>	http://www.delphij.net/
> See complete headers for GPG key and other information.

I rebuilt my kernel and vidcontrol and tried it out.

First, the good news is that 'vidcontrol -i mode' showed all of the
graphics modes; about 60 of them!

Now, the bad news: Setting the mode does not work.
# vidcontrol MODE_387
vidcontrol: Setting video mode: Inappropriate ioctl for device
or
# vidcontrol MODE_281
vidcontrol: cannot activate raster mode: Inappropriate ioctl for device

I'm running on an IBM T30 with Radeon M7 video and current as of Friday.

Was there something other than te kernel and vidcontrol that I should
have rebuilt? I did not rebuild my modules.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)