Re: 3 things working in -STABLE and not in -CURRENT

From: Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 00:29:25 -0500
On Tue, 24 May 2005 00:10:57 -0400, David Gilbert <dgilbert_at_dclg.ca>
wrote:

> I recently upgraded my laptop to -CURRENT from 5.4-STABLE.  Curiously,
> I have found 3 unrelated things that broke.  In each case, I have
> recompiled any code I believe remotely responsible.
>
> 1) atacontrol reinit 1
>
> This command used to recognise the hot plug of my CDROM into my laptop
> bay.  It now recognises that something is there, but can get no
> version string from the probe and definately doesn't recognise the
> drive.
>
> I suspect this is actually somehow related to ACPI ... as the
> hot-swapability of the drive bay has depended on acpi.ko being loaded
> in the past.

I've been corresponding with Soren about a very similar problem.  My
DVD writer on ata1-master is not being recognized.  Instead, my
CD-RW on ata1-slave is being configured as acd0.  I've been doing daily
upgrades (amd64), but still to no avail, and Soren seems to be stumped
as well.

The hardware seems to be fine.  I can boot a CD-ROM from the DVD drive
with no problems, and a 5.2-RELEASE disc (i386) recognizes both drives.

At least it's nice to know I'm not the only one. :-)

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads_at_cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"