Re: 3 things working in -STABLE and not in -CURRENT

From: David Gilbert <dgilbert_at_dclg.ca>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 09:44:53 -0400

Conrad> On Tue, 24 May 2005 00:10:57 -0400, David Gilbert
Conrad> <dgilbert_at_dclg.ca> wrote:

>> I recently upgraded my laptop to -CURRENT from 5.4-STABLE.
>> Curiously, I have found 3 unrelated things that broke.  In each
>> case, I have recompiled any code I believe remotely responsible.
>>
>> 1) atacontrol reinit 1
>>
>> This command used to recognise the hot plug of my CDROM into my
>> laptop bay.  It now recognises that something is there, but can get
>> no version string from the probe and definately doesn't recognise
>> the drive.
>>
>> I suspect this is actually somehow related to ACPI ... as the
>> hot-swapability of the drive bay has depended on acpi.ko being
>> loaded in the past.

Conrad> I've been corresponding with Soren about a very similar
Conrad> problem.  My DVD writer on ata1-master is not being
Conrad> recognized.  Instead, my CD-RW on ata1-slave is being
Conrad> configured as acd0.  I've been doing daily upgrades (amd64),
Conrad> but still to no avail, and Soren seems to be stumped as well.

Conrad> The hardware seems to be fine.  I can boot a CD-ROM from the
Conrad> DVD drive with no problems, and a 5.2-RELEASE disc (i386)
Conrad> recognizes both drives.

Conrad> At least it's nice to know I'm not the only one. :-)

My case may or may not be different.  My drive is recognised correctly
on boot ... the only error is when hot swapping it (which did also
work under 5.4).

Dave.

|David Gilbert, Independent Contractor.       | Two things can only be     |
|Mail:       dave_at_daveg.ca                    |  equal if and only if they |
|http://daveg.ca                              |   are precisely opposite.  |