Re: hard deadlock(?) on -current; some debugging info, need help

From: Ted Faber <faber_at_isi.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 09:08:46 -0700
On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 06:09:28PM +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-May-25 17:18:06 -0700, Ted Faber wrote:
> >The system slowly grinds to a halt, and the lockup seems to invlove the
> >disk system.
>
> Nothing is waiting on physical I/O, but there are lots of locked vnodes.
> I notice there's a sh(? - pid 10715) blocked on nfsreq.  Can you reproduce
> the problem without the NFS mounted filesystems?

I have a laptop on the same network that uses NFS much less aggressively
and it has never locked up.  I understand that's anecdotal.  It's pretty
hard to reconfigure the desktop into a position where I get work done
and don't use NFS here.

> >  I have not found a sequence that triggers them (other than
> >trying to write mail to the list to report them), and I know how
> >difficult that makes things.  It is common to have 2-5 a day.  Even when
>
> >I can get to the debugger during a lockup, I cannot generate a crash
> >dump - the kernel reports starting the dump and moves no bytes.
>
> Not nice.   That suggests something below the filesystem is sick
> because a filesystem deadlock won't affect the crashdump.

I've let it sit a few minutes.  I'll try it again next lockup, just in
case.  I've just typed "panic" from the debugger.  If there's a better
way, please let me know.

> >I've attached a dmesg from a -v boot and the kernel config (the dmesg is
> >not from the lockup run).  Last friday when the system locked I had a
> >digital camera with me and took pictures of the ps output in the hopes
> >that someone could look at them.  These images are at
> >
> >http://www.isi.edu/~faber/tmp/deadlock/DSCN04{75,76,77,78,79,80,81,82}.JPG
>
> The other information we need is "show lockedvnods".  This will hopefully
> point to the process that started the problem.

Next lockup I'll get it.

--
Ted Faber
http://www.isi.edu/~faber           PGP: http://www.isi.edu/~faber/pubkeys.asc