Re: [CALL FOR TESTERS] VESA High Resolution Console support from DragonFly

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 22:28:46 +0200
Eric Anderson <anderson_at_centtech.com> writes:
> I noticed that changing to 16bit (instead of 32 or 24) helped a lot.

...because more pixels fit in a single 64 kB page, so the console code
doesn't have to switch pages as much while redrawing the screen.
Switching pages requires switching to virtual x86 mode (stalling the
CPU and invalidating the cache) to invoke the VESA BIOS.  On graphic
adapters with linear framebuffer support (pretty much all of them
today), you can map the entire framebuffer into memory to avoid
paging, but our VESA driver doesn't know how to do that.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des_at_des.no