Re: [CALL FOR TESTERS] VESA High Resolution Console support from DragonFly

From: Antony T Curtis <antony.t.curtis_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 23:37:42 +0100
On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 22:28 +0200, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Eric Anderson <anderson_at_centtech.com> writes:
> > I noticed that changing to 16bit (instead of 32 or 24) helped a lot.
>
> ...because more pixels fit in a single 64 kB page, so the console code
> doesn't have to switch pages as much while redrawing the screen.
> Switching pages requires switching to virtual x86 mode (stalling the
> CPU and invalidating the cache) to invoke the VESA BIOS.  On graphic
> adapters with linear framebuffer support (pretty much all of them
> today), you can map the entire framebuffer into memory to avoid
> paging, but our VESA driver doesn't know how to do that.

Strange, I thought that the VESA driver did know how to do that. I
recall years ago writing a driver for XFree86 3.3 which used the FreeBSD
VESA driver to switch video mode and set up a linear frame buffer.

I have even found the ancient email with it...
http://listserver.uk.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-users/2001-May/003629.html

--
Antony T Curtis, BSc.                   UNIX, Linux, *BSD, Networking
antony.t.curtis_at_ntlworld.com            C++, J2EE, Perl, MySQL, Apache