Re: HEADS UP! 6.0-RELEASE coming

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_samsco.org>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 10:32:31 -0700
Felipe openglx wrote:
> In fact I agree with Scott. There isn't much the OS can do.
>
> As for that bug, I'm already in contact with the X.org developers and
> trying to do a deeper debugging on what's going on. The driver
> developer himself said he cannot test that on FreeBSD, thus not
> assuring it full functionality. So it looks much more to be a X.org
> problem than FreeBSD one.
>
> On 11/1/05, Scott Long <scottl_at_samsco.org> wrote:
>
>>Yar Tikhiy wrote:
>>
>>>When a 3rd party package crashes our OS, we should care about the
>>>issue, too.  However, this case seems to require more investigation
>>>by developers who have similar hardware.
>>>

>>The fact that X has access to /dev/io means that it can do whatever it
>>wants to corrupt the machine, and there isn't much the OS can do about
>>it.
>>
>>Scott
>>

> --
> openglx_at_StarByte.net

One caveat that I forgot is that there are SiS AGP and DRI/DRM modules
that operate in the kernel and come with the stock FreeBSD sources.
You should isolate these out before looking any further.  For AGP,
make sure that 'device agp' is not in your kernel or loaded as a
module, and for DRM make sure that your X config file omits the DRI/DRM
options.  If it still fails then it's almost certainly an X bug and not
a FreeBSD bug.  If it's a DRM problem then you'll still want to contact
the X folks since that code is maintained outside of the FreeBSD
project.  If it's an AGP problem then we'll mark is as something that
needs fixing for 6.1.

Scott