Re: Instant reboot on new interface coming up

From: Eric Anderson <anderson_at_centtech.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 07:46:17 -0600
Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2005-11-09 13:20, Eric Anderson <anderson_at_centtech.com> wrote:
>
>>I've been having issues lately when trying to bring up a new interface.
>> It's a hard problem to actually see, because it makes my machine
>>instantly reboot.
>>
>>Here's what I see:
>>Normally, I use ath0 for wireless, and occasionally I use em0.
>>Recently, when I was at a location with no wireless and no dhcp support,
>>I powered up my laptop, plugged in to em0, and did an ifconfig em0 xxx.
>>    After a few seconds, the system spontaneously reboots.  I figured
>>out that killing dhclient on that interface before attempting to
>>manually configure it helped.
>>
>>Now, I also tried to connect using ppp to a GPRS network (via bluetooth
>>through my cell phone).  This used to work just fine, probably a few
>>months ago.   This time, I killed all dhclients, connected the bluetooth
>>pieces, and then ran rfcomm_pppd, which creates a tun0 interface.  When
>>the interface was created, and brought up without dhclient, everything
>>worked ok.   When I accidentally left dhclient running, and tun0 was
>>created, when the device got it's IP address, machine rebooted.
>>
>>I have various machine logs/dmesg/etc here:
>>http://www.googlebit.com/freebsd/
>>(labeled by date - look for the most current versions)
>>
>>I'm running 7.0-CURRENT as of a few days ago.
>

> How many days?  You need at least a version that includes the following
> commit, otherwise you may have problems with ACPI or mbuf allocation:
>
> % glebius     2005-11-06 16:47:59 UTC
> %
> %   FreeBSD src repository
> %
> %   Modified files:
> %     sys/kern             kern_mbuf.c
> %   Log:
> %   Fix panic string in last revision.
> %
> %   Revision  Changes    Path
> %   1.15      +1 -1      src/sys/kern/kern_mbuf.c

As of Monday, Nov 7th, and I've just checked, and I am indeed using this
later version.  It happened both before, and after this commit.

It's pretty reproduceable, so I can do it anything, but fsck'ing my
disks each time begins to get old :)

If there's something I can do to help get some debugging, tell me.
Since it's an insta-boot, I'm not sure how to catch that.

Eric