Re: Instant reboot on new interface coming up

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida_at_ceid.upatras.gr>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 00:17:36 -0800
On 2005-11-09 13:20, Eric Anderson <anderson_at_centtech.com> wrote:
> I've been having issues lately when trying to bring up a new interface.
>  It's a hard problem to actually see, because it makes my machine
> instantly reboot.
>
> Here's what I see:
> Normally, I use ath0 for wireless, and occasionally I use em0.
> Recently, when I was at a location with no wireless and no dhcp support,
> I powered up my laptop, plugged in to em0, and did an ifconfig em0 xxx.
>     After a few seconds, the system spontaneously reboots.  I figured
> out that killing dhclient on that interface before attempting to
> manually configure it helped.
>
> Now, I also tried to connect using ppp to a GPRS network (via bluetooth
> through my cell phone).  This used to work just fine, probably a few
> months ago.   This time, I killed all dhclients, connected the bluetooth
> pieces, and then ran rfcomm_pppd, which creates a tun0 interface.  When
> the interface was created, and brought up without dhclient, everything
> worked ok.   When I accidentally left dhclient running, and tun0 was
> created, when the device got it's IP address, machine rebooted.
>
> I have various machine logs/dmesg/etc here:
> http://www.googlebit.com/freebsd/
> (labeled by date - look for the most current versions)
>
> I'm running 7.0-CURRENT as of a few days ago.

How many days?  You need at least a version that includes the following
commit, otherwise you may have problems with ACPI or mbuf allocation:

% glebius     2005-11-06 16:47:59 UTC
%
%   FreeBSD src repository
%
%   Modified files:
%     sys/kern             kern_mbuf.c
%   Log:
%   Fix panic string in last revision.
%
%   Revision  Changes    Path
%   1.15      +1 -1      src/sys/kern/kern_mbuf.c