Re: 3ware 9550sx driver for freeBSD 6 amd64 ??

From: ke.han <ke.han_at_redstarling.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 06:09:25 +0800
Devon H. O'Dell wrote:
> No problem.
>
> The kernel is for AMD64.
>
> What you may be able to do is drop to the bootloader prompt and unload
> kernel. After that, you should be able to indeed load the kernel from
> the other CD, plop the original back in there and boot.

> --Devon

Devon,
I was able to unload the install iso kernel and load the one you posted.
  Unfortunately, still no good.  The driver seems to be there and trying
to communicate with the 9550sx, but I get errors at the end of the boot
process.
Here are steps I took:
1 - boot w/ freeBSD 6.0-RELEASE amd64 install cd 1
2 - step into phase 3 boot loader prompt
3 - unload kernel
4 - swap cds
5 - load cd0:KERNEL_9;1   (for some reason this is how freeBSD sees the
file even though I burned the iso with a file named kernel_9550sx)
6 - swap the cds back
7 - boot
...all goes well until it looks like everything is done booting and then
there is about a minute wait and I start getting the following messages:

twa0: ERROR: (0x05:0x210b): Request timed out!: request = 0xffffffff80c52000
twa0: INFO: (0x16:0x1108): Resetting controller...:
twa0: INFO: (0x04:0x0001):Controller reset occurred: resets=1
twa0: INFO: (0x16:-x1107): Controller reset done!

The message cycle continues every few minutes with an increment of the
resets counter and the request info.  I tried this both before and after
updating the firmware of the 9550sx.   The firmware was originally FE9X
3.01.01.028.  Upgraded to FE9X 3.02.00.04.

I am running this on a new server I put together especially for freeBSD
6.  The motherboard is Tyan i7520.  So far, freeBSD has never once found
a hard drive controller in the 3rd phase boot of this machine.  It can't
find a simple EIDE or SATA when directly connected to the corresponding
motherboard controller (and the 9550sx card removed).  And this 3ware
card...well, you see the errors.
Linux (Centos 4.2) and Windows Server 2003 install just fine under all
the configs which freeBSD 6 amd64 and i386 fails. freeBSD 5.4 also fails.

Any more ideas?
thanks, ke han