Re: 7-CURRENT-SNAP009-i386-bootonly.iso on Shuttle XPC w/ AMD X2 (was Re: Side note on Shuttle XPC)

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_samsco.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:59:51 -0700
Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :...
> :>     Is there an SMP i386 ISO I can try?  Maybe one with standard unix
> :>     commands on it so I can play around?
> :
> :Try the Fixit CD option.  The disc1 ISO is a Fixit CD now.  You have to
> :download disc1.iso though rather than bootonly.iso, bootonly.iso just has the
> :sysinstall bits and nothing else.  disc1 has the distributions themselves as
> :well as the full Fixit layout.
> :
> :--
> :John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>  <><  http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/
> :"Power Users Use the Power to Serve"  =  http://www.FreeBSD.org
>
>     Ok, 7-CURRENT-SNAP009-i386-disc1.iso downloaded, installed... that
>     works a lot better though the emergency holographic shell on ttyv4 is
>     completely useless.  Instead of making people to go into 'fixit' mode
>     with an option, just throw the binaries onto the CD natively like we
>     do so a shell just works without having to do any special setup.  It's
>     also a lot more convenient to have a complete system sitting there for
>     recovery or comparison purposes if you just want to mount the CD rather
>     then boot from it.

The fixit mode of disc1 is a full live filesystem.  It's probably a bit
confusing and cumbersome because we haven't fully divorced sysinstall
from the mfsroot filesystem.  I doubt that this will happen before a
new installer gets integrated.

>     In anycase, this kernel does appear to boot ok SMP, and the devices
>     work, with the exception of NVE which is kinda half-baked (has the
>     watchdog issue) previously discussed.  It also only negotiates 100BaseTX,
>     so you need to add GiGE support as well.  As mentioned previously, you
>     can enable GiGE through the MII interface by using the defacto standard
>     speed extension bit.
>
>     Interrupts appear to be routed properly, so going through ACPI link is
>     definitely the ticket.  If I boot without ACPI interrupts are completely
>     broken.
>
>     I was incorrect in my previous comment about the bootonly CD not
>     appearing to boot in SMP.  I had forgotten to update the BIOS on this
>     particular XPC which is why it didn't see the second core on the X2.
>     That's an important point, by the way... if people have problems with
>     the XPC make sure they have updated to the latest BIOS.  Updating the
>     BIOS without a floppy drive is trivial, just construct the MSDOS boot
>     floppy on a windows box, throw in the Shuttle flash programmer and
>     BIOS update file, and burn a CD with the image.  Boot the CD in the
>     shuttle and you're good.
>
> 					-Matt
> 					Matthew Dillon
> 					<dillon_at_backplane.com>

So the amd64 snapshot didn't boot but the i386 one did?  Interesting.
Thanks a lot for investigating this.

Scott