Re: Logical volume management

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 16:56:31 +0100
On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 16:36:38 +0100
"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> In message <20051119162854.2656096a_at_Magellan.Leidinger.net>, Alexander Leidinge
> r writes:
>
> >Not more than in the same situation with 2 or more "black boxes"
> >instead of one... :-)
>
> That's actually not true.  A major part of the rationale for having
> the partitioning (ie: mount points) in the name space rather than the
> block layer is to allow the administrator to partition his data
> and thus limit calmity to the affected area.

If you have a bug in any volume manager (integrated into the FS or
not), you're busted in any case. The way ZFS does the VM part is more
complex, and to err is human, so there's more potential to bust
something.

You can define more than one resource pool with ZFS, and as I did
understand it, the pools are distinct. So if you assign disc1 and disc2
to poolA and disc3 and disc4 to poolB, and you assign just one FS to
each pool, you still have the same separation like in vinum or
g{mirror,raid3,stripe}. You just have a more complex distribution
algorithm.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
   If Bill Gates had a dime for every time a Windows box crashed...
                ...Oh, wait a minute, he already does.

http://www.Leidinger.net                       Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net