Re: Logical volume management

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 16:41:47 -0800 (PST)
On Sat, 19 Nov 2005, Alexander Leidinger wrote:

> You can define more than one resource pool with ZFS, and as I did
> understand it, the pools are distinct. So if you assign disc1 and disc2
> to poolA and disc3 and disc4 to poolB, and you assign just one FS to
> each pool, you still have the same separation like in vinum or
> g{mirror,raid3,stripe}. You just have a more complex distribution
> algorithm.

However the ZMU layer doesn't allow you to stack transforms, so you can't
do RAID10 by stacking a stripe transform on a mirror. Score a point for
GEOM and the oldie-but-goodie SDS. :)

The ZFS code and architecture docs imply that the volume-management
aspects and the filesystem are abstracted from one another and are bundled
only for administrative simplicity. If they wanted to, the ZMU could have
been a separate component and you could have layered UFS on top of it.
Most of the code is available through OpenSolaris if you want to see how
its done.