Re: RELENG_6_0: fatal trap 12

From: Hao Chen <hchen_at_utmem.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:32:14 -0600
On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 01:08:34PM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Saturday 19 November 2005 09:17 am, Hao Chen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am upgrading from 5.4 to 6.0 and got the following error message:
> >

> > Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
> > cpuid = 1; apic id = 01
> > fault virtual address   = 0x480008
> > fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
> > instruction pointer     = 0x20:0xc069c394
> > stack pointer           = 0x28:0xe10208ac
> > frame pointer           = 0x28:0xe10208ac
> > code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
> >                         = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> > processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> > current process         = 0 (swapper)
> > trap number				= 12
> >

> > I have tried booting with or without ACPI, in safe mode, or single user
> > mode and got the same message on booting. Oh, I am using GENERIC kernel.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Hao
>
> Can you add 'options KDB' and 'options DDB' and get a stack trace?

I replied earlier but it may not went to the list. As pointed out, it
was my nvidia driver that was causing the problem. After commenting out
that in the loader.conf, everything went fine.

Thanks again for the many replies I got.

Hao

--
-
: Hao Chen, Ph.D.

: Instructor
: Department of Pharmacology
: University of Tennessee Health Science Center
: Memphis, TN 38163 USA
: Office: 901 448 3201
: Mobil:  901 826 1845

Mining PubMed: http://www.chilibot.net