Re: avail memory is short by 1G on my FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE MP Dell

From: <eculp_at_bafirst.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 13:11:14 -0600
Quoting Dan Nelson <dnelson_at_allantgroup.com>:

> In the last episode (Nov 20), Paul Saab said:
>> Dan Nelson wrote:

>> >Anyone know if it's possible for the kernel to determine if any RAM
>> >is mapped above the 4gb point and warn the user about how much
>> >memory is unaccessable without PAE?
>>
>> You mean like it does now?
>> "262144K of memory above 4GB ignored"
>
> That line didn't show up the the original poster's dmesg, though (
> http://unixmania.com/dmesg_20051120.txt ).  Maybe a verbose boot would
> shed more light.

Thanks to all who have answered and I apologize for not finding this
when searching google.  I obviously needed to filter it more.  As
always now that I know what the problem probably is it is easy.

I'm currently building kernel with PAE although it does make me a bit
nervious to remotely reboot.   I think I will first reboot enabling
verbose with the debug.bootverbose sysctl variable since I only have
remote access to the machine and no  serial console.

I will report back this weekend after rebooting with the PAE kernel
that will hopefully work as expected.

Thanks to everyone and again apologizes for not finding the solution in
my searches.

ed