Re: Linking basesystem with additional libraries.

From: Wojciech A. Koszek <dunstan_at_freebsd.czest.pl>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 17:32:05 +0000
On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 11:03:42AM -0600, Scot Hetzel wrote:
> On 11/21/05, Wojciech A. Koszek <dunstan_at_freebsd.czest.pl> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Is there any reason why we couldn't have LDADD honored in "buildworld"
> > process? If there are no negative implications, I volunteer to do the
> > work. I'd find it really useful.
> >
> What do you want to link the base system with?
>
> Currently, the base sendmail can be linked with the
> security/cyrus-sasl* ports by setting:
>
> #	SENDMAIL_CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include -DSASL2
> #	SENDMAIL_LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib
> #	SENDMAIL_LDADD=-lsasl2
>
> in /etc/make.conf.  You could possibly link sendmail with one of the
> openldap ports also.  Haven't tried it myself yet.
>
> Note: This may cause a busted sendmail, especially during a major
> version upgrade.  A rebuild of the security/cyrus-sasl* port, and
> sendmail will fix it.

Hello,

Sorry for late response. Truly speaking I want to use this functionality to
link basesystem with alternative malloc(9) implementation, just like this
from libefence. This is how I discovered one of the allocation problems in
FreeBSD basesystem. Doing this kind of tests does not work in some cases
when LD_* variables are used. Looking at recent posts, I think new malloc
implementation (patch posted by Jason Evans) could also be tested in this
way.

I also use SENDMAIL_* macros and although difficulties you've written about,
choice.  I think it's advantage to have them. And please note, that it's
system administrator choice to play with custom libraries.

--
* Wojciech A. Koszek && dunstan_at_FreeBSD.czest.pl