Re: New libc malloc patch

From: Ulrich Spoerlein <q_at_galgenberg.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 12:10:17 +0100
Jason Evans wrote:
> * The virtual memory size of processes, as reported in the SIZE field by top, will appear
> astronomical for almost all processes (32+ MB).  This is expected; it is merely an artifact
> of using large mmap()ed regions rather than sbrk().

Hi,

I just read that mmap() part and have to wonder: Is it possible to
introduce something like the guard pages that OpenBSD has implemented?
I'd love to try this out and see the dozens of applications that fail
due to off-by-one bugs.

If the security features of OpenBSDs new malloc() could be implemented
as new MALLOC_OPTIONS directives, that would be fantastic!

Ulrich Spoerlein
--
 PGP Key ID: F0DB9F44				Encrypted mail welcome!
Fingerprint: F1CE D062 0CA9 ADE3 349B  2FE8 980A C6B5 F0DB 9F44