Re: New libc malloc patch

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 12:18:26 +0100
In message <20051130111017.GA67032_at_galgenberg.net>, Ulrich Spoerlein writes:

>I just read that mmap() part and have to wonder: Is it possible to
>introduce something like the guard pages that OpenBSD has implemented?
>I'd love to try this out and see the dozens of applications that fail
>due to off-by-one bugs.

Guard-pages are very expensive and that is why I have not adopted
OpenBSD's patch.

I would advocate that people use one of the dedicated debugging malloc
implementations (ElectricFence ?) instead of putting too much overhead
into our default malloc.

For all practical purposes, the options J, A, X & Z are the most commonly
used.