Re: wpa_supplicant and WEP....

From: Michael Vince <michael_at_roq.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 18:21:07 +1000
Eric Schuele wrote:

> Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 21:07 -0500, Eric Schuele wrote:
>>

>>> Ah... hex *keys*... plural!!  I should use all 4 of them?  I had been
>>> using just the one declared as the default key to tx.  I have
>>> attached a
>>> screenshot of what a linksys does when you setup WEP.  Give it a
>>> cleartext passphrase and it generates 4 hex keys.  On some systems you
>>> can enter the passphrase... others I've had to enter the 'default' key.
>>> Never thought to try all four keys at once.  Is that what you think I
>>> should do?

>>> I'll try them in the above format (I was prefixing with 0x).  I'm
>>> not in the office but will try my home AP.... BRB....
>>>
>>> Whoa!!!  That's IT!!!
>>> Am I the only person who couldn't figure that out???
>>> You must use all 4 hex keys and specify which is the default.
>>>

>> No, you don't -- at least on -CURRENT of week or two ago following
>> wpa_supplicant.conf works quite well:
>>
>> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
>> ctrl_interface_group=wheel
>>
>> network={
>>   ssid="SillySSID"
>>   scan_ssid=1
>>   priority=5
>>   key_mgmt=NONE
>>   wep_key0=0123456789abcdef0123456789
>>   wep_tx_keyidx=0
>> }
>>

> Yes... you are correct.  One is sufficient.  I got a little over
> zealous when entering keys.
>
> I simply must have had the format of the hex keys incorrect all this
> time.  I must say, I have been trying to get WEP to work for an
> embarrisingly long time.  WPA-PSK and open networks gave me no trouble
> though.  But I tried for the longest time to get WEP going because
> thats how I had things setup from 5.x (since WPA was not supported)
> and I thought it would be easiest to just turn wpa_supplicant on
> without changing the wLAN.
>
> Anyways....  Thank you very much to all.

So it works for you now? Darn I have had the exact same problem I got on
WPA straight away but could never get past DHCP on WEP. I decided not to
worry about having it auto dhcp and just placed this into a script if I
decided to use WEP wireless.

ifconfig ath0 inet 192.168.231.5 netmask 255.255.255.0 ssid MYW wepmode
on weptxkey 1 wepkey 1:0x6eb24e9f544768c20e22a29f43
route add 0.0.0.0 192.168.231.1

I could get on just fine with WEP if I added my own IP and WEP key
manually but DHCP has never worked (unlike in WPA).

Since people are claiming it works I will have to give it another shot
next time I use wireless.

Mike